Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fall Break

This past Tuesday marked the end of the first quarter at VCS. We cannot believe first quarter is already over. Time has really flown. Wednesday was a teacher work day for us all to get our grading done and our grades turned into the office. Then Thursday and Friday we had no school!!

Although we did not have enough money to travel anywhere, we had saved enough to do a few fun things over break. Wednesday after a day at work, we went out to eat with some friends at a new restaurant here in Vienna, which was like a Chipotle. It was super exciting for us to have some tex-mex here in Vienna as there are only a few Mexican restaurants here, and they are pricey and not very good. But this burrito joint was very yummy and very reasonbly priced! After that a smaller group of us went to go see a movie at the English cinema. This was a "splurge" for us as we normally don't have money to waste on a movie.

On Thursday I (Steph) went to Sopron, Hungary which is only 45 minutes away from Vienna, if we don't get lost. We did miss our exit so it took us a bit longer to get there, but it was fun. In Sopron there is a really cool and cheap pottery shop. The other girls I went with really got some good deals. We then went to Tesco which is kind of like a Wal-Mart, in which I got a bag of marshmallows and 2 things of body wash for super cheap! I know, really exciting purchases! In the meantime, Matt got to have a day of playing PlayStation, which was fun for him. Thursday night we had some friends over, and I fixed chicken and dumplings.

Friday was a national holiday here in Vienna, so the national museums were open with free admission. We couldn't miss out on a free activity, so we went to a few museums. The first museum we went to was the Military History Museum, which was really awesome. It went through the military history of Austria, which included stories, uniforms, weapons, and all kinds of cool stuff. The highlight of this museum was definitely the car Franz Ferdinand was assasinated in. Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the Austrian throne, and his assasination was a main trigger to the start of World War I. We then went to the Parliament building in which we had to wait in a long line for, but it was really cool and worth it.

Saturday Matt had soccer practice and I hung out at home. Then we went to a friends house to play Balderdash, which was a lot of fun. Today (Sunday) we have had a really lazy day at home, but was still able to accomplish some stuff. We got all of our articles typed for our next newsletter coming out in November, which was a huge accomplishment. We also had a lot of time to discuss the big decision we are in the process of making (making another commitment to VCS or returning to the States). We are still undecided, but feel like we had good discussion about it and that God is leading us in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to some girls today about Tesco, so I'm glad to hear there is one in Sopron. It sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete