Sunday, May 17, 2009

Boldness

The past few weeks I have been studying the book of Habakkuk. Its a pretty short book, only three chapters, but it is packed full of amazing stuff. There are a few reasons why this book has intrigued me for the past few weeks.

First, Habakkuk was a man of God, a faithful servant and prophet. Unlike the other prophets of the day, Habakkuk didn't just deliver God's message to his people, but he took the people's complaints to God. Habakkuk is perplexed and confused at what is happening in the world around him. He doesn't understand why God is doing what he is doing. He especially doesn't understand how God could punish his own people-the chosen nation, even though they had sinned, by a nation even more wicked than they? I admire Habakkuk, who was an honest seeker of truth, because he didn't try to figure it out on his own, he went directly to God with his question or complaint, seeking to know the truth. Yet even though Habakkuk doesn't understand God's plan, his faith and trust in him is unwavering.

Secondly, I love the boldness of Habakkuk. He is honest with God and not afraid to doubt his plan, to ask tough questions, and admit his inability to comprehend. I feel like oftentimes Christians are timid. We are scared to ask the hard questions, to doubt God's plan for our life. To proud to admit we don't understand. We are too afraid to pray bold prayers, I mean, its not going to happen anyways, so why pray about it. But Habakkuk, in all things was honest, he sought the truth, and he was not afraid to question God.

Here are few of my favorite parts of Habakkuk although I encourage you to spend some time studying Habakkuk yourself.

Habakkuk's first complaint:

How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted.

The first part of God's answer:
Look at the nations and watch--and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.

Part of God's answer to Habakkuk's second complaint, which is similar to his first:

...but the righteous will live by his faith...

I think chapter three in its entirety is my favorite part. After wrestling with God, trying to understand what is going on in the world around him, trying to understand God's hand in it all, this is Habakkuk's prayer.

Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.

Then Habakkuk continues to give an amazing description of God's power.

His glory covered the heavens and his praise filled the earth. His splendor was like the sunrise; rays flashed from his hand. where his power was hidden. Plague went before him; pestilence followed his steps. He stood, and shook the earth; he looked, and made the nations tremble. The ancient mountains crumbled and the age-old hills collapsed. His ways are eternal.

Habakkuk's description of God continues, and he concludes with the following.

...yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.

Whether or not Habakkuk understood what God was doing, he realized it was his job to trust in him, and to live by faith.

Studying Habakkuk has been so encouraging to me, as I also do not understand what God is doing in my life, and the world around me. I question his plans for me. I am asking why? I am encouraged to ask God the hard questions, to seek out his truth, yet to continue to live by faith and trust in his plan. In the meantime, I am encouraged to pray boldly, for God to do great things in my life and the world around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment