Our big news to the blogworld. We figure everyone who reads our blog has already heard the news, but oh well. Here's the story...from Stephanie.
In February of 2004 I was in a not so fun car accident in which I sustained a brain injury, stitches, and a pretty scar. But that is a whole other long story. But as a result of my brain injury, my brain stopped communicating with my reproductive system, hormones stopped being produced, and I had no cycle. After the wreck, Matt and I were dealing with some major issues, so we were definitely okay with me not having a cycle and us not getting pregnant.
Around Christmas time in 2006 we decided we were ready to start the process of getting me up and running so we could have a baby! My first doctor's appointment was in January of 2007. It has been a long journey. There are no words to describe the way it feels to want a baby so badly, and then each month to find out you are still babyless. We never imagined we would be the couple who would have a hard time getting pregnant. However, we also never imagined I would be in an accident that would mess up my body so badly. Regardless, the last year or so has definitely been an emotional roller coaster for both of us.
In December of 2007 we started another new and stronger medication, called clomiphene. This is a very commonly used drug. Before starting the regiment, the doc and I discussed all of the risks involved, the main one being the small risk of having twins. Of course that wasn't enough to deter us from having a baby, we'd love to have two! Every month on the medication I would go and see the doctor around ovulation time to see if the meds were working. December-nothing. January-nothing. February-maybe, but most likely not. March-my last month on this medication before taking more serious measures, the doctor told me to not even bother coming in. My body hasn't responded so far, so if it actually does respond, great!
Well, for some mysterious reason (we like to call him God) my body finally responded. By the end of March, I knew I was pregnant, and we were overflowing with joy, and praising God for our miracle! On Saturday, April 5 I took a home pregnancy test (Austria style) to verify my thoughts, and to make sure we weren't getting our hopes up for nothing. The medication I was on had several side affects that are also pregnancy symptoms. Cruelness, I know. Anyways, it instantly showed us two purple lines. Pregnant!!
On April 8, we went to the doctor for confirmation, yet again! He did an ultrasound, and after a brief moment told us "Congratulations--you were right, you are pregnant!" Although we were thrilled at the news, we could both tell there was more. I instantly feared there was something seriously wrong with our baby. After what seemed like forever he said "But, I am seeing multiples." I instantly asked "How many?!?" So the doc checked, double checked, and then triple checked, and finally told us the most shocking news we have ever received "Well, it appears that you are pregnant with triplets."
My jaw instantly drops open in shock and Matt just starts laughing. We were shocked beyond belief. After talking with the doctor some more, he said one of the babies is much smaller than the other two, so he didn't want to give us a firm "diagnosis" for another few weeks, in fear we would lose the little one. As we left the doctor's office, we were elated to know we were pregnant, shocked that we were expecting three, worried about losing the little one, and heartbroken because we realized we would have to leave Vienna.
Talk about wierd prayers...praying for three healthy babies when you have no idea how on earth you are going to manage it. Definitely the strangest prayers we have said!
On April 21 we went back to the doctor and had another ultrasound. This time we saw three healthy babies, all about the same size (one was still a tiny bit smaller), and all three with strong heartbeats! God's hand in our lives, yet again.
Last night, May 5 we went back yet again, for another ultrasound to check on the babies growth and devlopment. We have three perfect babies! We even got to see Baby 1 moving around a bit, it was truly amazing! I think Baby 2 and 3 were snoozing. I will post some of the ultrasound pics (at 9.5 weeks) at the bottom.
As I breifly mentioned earlier, we are returning to the States. There is just no way we could do three babies over here because we are going to need the help and support of lots of family and friends. The plan is to move back to the Jefferson City/Columbia, Missouri area where we have a huge network of family and friends waiting to help.
We will definitely keep you updated as we learn new things about the babies and figure things out with the move, job, and house situation. But in the meantime, please keep us in your prayers!
Prayer Requests:
-For us to finish strong here in Vienna and be able to say good bye to people and a place we love so much.
-For the move, we have a lot to do and need a lot of money to move countries!
-For Matt to find a great teaching job.
-For three healthy, strong babies, and that Stephanie can carry them to 35 weeks. This is the week we are hoping to deliver (The last week of October).
-For Matt to find a great teaching job.
-For three healthy, strong babies, and that Stephanie can carry them to 35 weeks. This is the week we are hoping to deliver (The last week of October).
Here are all three babies!
This is Baby 1, the biggest baby at 26 mm long!
This is Baby 2, the second biggest baby at 25 mm long!
And finally, Baby 3, who is 24 mm long.
Stephanie and Matt,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for being such a huge part of the community here. We will sorely miss you and know that you will always be in our hearts. Wow, triplets . . .is it starting to sink in yet? I think it has finally sunk in with us that we're having one . . .I can't believe you're having 3! Be blessed you two . . .5 I mean!:)
I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that you guys are going to have triplets.
ReplyDelete