Christmas candy is a big deal in my family and I grew up making it every Christmas. It used to be a big family afair, when all of the aunts and girl cousins went to Grandma's house and would make candy all day. Normally us little girls stuck to creatively decorating the sugar cookies, I suppose we were best "helping" yet "out of the way" with that job. I miss those days, spending time with family and making yummy candy. Those times are some of my most cherished Christmas memories.
At my house, we would make Christmas candy to give as gifts. We made all sorts of goodies, from candy to cookies to cinnamon roll wreathes. Since I love to bake and be in the kitchen, I decided I would carry on this tradition in our home. I realized I couldn't make all of the candy I grew up making on my own, so I chose some of my favorites. On Monday I began my endeavor of making Christmas candy to give as gifts....
I began with...
15 pounds of sugar...
10 pounds of chocolate....
2 pounds of caramel
Lots nuts pecans and peanuts...
Cream Cheese...
White corn syrup...
Candy Canes...
Oreos...
I ended up with...
20 pounds of three chocolate and dark chocolate fudge...
100ish peanut clusters...
80ish turtles...
60ish oreo truffles...
50ish divinity...
2 pounds of peppermint bark...
and a ton of cinnamon candy!!!!
It provided to be a lot of fun, work, and dishes, but I loved every minute of it. I am blessed to have a husband who was willing to lend a hand--he even became pretty good at making the fudge! I took fudge to both nights of the living Nativity, and it disappeared in 20 minutes or less!Today we took big trays to the other 4 ministers on staff, the church secretary, and my aunt and uncle who live in town. Tomorrow we're delivering another one to Becca--weather permitting! And of course, I saved some for our family Christmas with Matt's family this weekend!
We made candy at Christmas too!!!! I can't make much here in Thailand though because white corn syrup is hard to come by and very expensive. It is a bummer but I am making gumdrop cookies, peanut brittle, and caramel popcorn for gifts to give all the missionaries. I will start it tomorrow after we drive into town to get the corn syrup and go check out the bakery store we just got directions for!!! Ya'll have a wonderful Christmas!
ReplyDeleteDo you still decorate with candy? I remember visiting your apartment in Dallas, and you had it all decorated in Christmas candy decorations. Hope you had a great Christmas, and wishing you a happy New Year.
ReplyDelete