We wouldn't consider ourselves big fans to the point we have to see every episode, but we do enjoy watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. We particularly enjoy the variety of stories the families have. The things these familes have went through and experienced, are heartbreaking. It is very rare for me to make it through an episode without tears.
For last night's episode the team had travelled to Keller, Texas to help out the Augustin family, whose house had been destroyed in a flood. Their story touched our hearts in so many ways. Brief Summary: Their youngest son, Lane was born premature and spent several weeks in the NICU. Throughout those weeks there were many days the family was told it could be his last. Through this time, the family had taken hundreds of pictures of their baby boy. They are blessed to have Lane with them today. The mom had always wanted to be a photographer, and after her experience with Lane, she wanted to use it for good. She began using her gift by taking pictures of premature babies, babies in the NICU, and stillborn babies. They showed some of her pictures on the show, which were beautiful, along with testimonies from families whose child she had photographed.
What a precious gift this woman is giving to so many families. I admire her strength and heart to be able to take these photos. It is an extremely difficult and emotional situation to a part of. These pictures are something the family will treasure for the rest of their lives. The photos we have of our triplets mean so much to us. It is a way of keeping our babies near to our hearts, for them to continue to be a part of our families, for us to remember every perfect detail about them.
Needless to say, I wept through the entire episode, but it touched my heart in so many ways. Little things that people have done, helped us through the difficult loss of our babies. For example, at the hospital we received tiny crocheted hats and blankets for each of our babies. The nurses made plaster imitations of each of the babies hands and feet. I still have all of them, each of them a precious treasure.
When my heart is ready and able, I fully intend on crocheting hats and blankets to donate to hospitals for this specific purpose. We are also planning on getting involved in March of Dimes. Their mission is to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality. They carry out this mission through research, community services, education and advocacy to save babies' lives. March of Dimes researchers, volunteers, educators, outreach workers and advocates work together to give all babies a fighting chance against the threats to their health: prematurity, birth defects, low birthweight.
To watch this episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, go to their website at http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/index?pn=index. Make sure you have a box of tissues at hand--you will need them, I promise!
To find out more about March of Dimes or to find out how you too can get involved, visit their website at www.marchofdimes.com.
My sis supports the March of Dimes because Elijah was born premature and without them I don't think he would have made it. It is truly a wonderful program.
ReplyDeleteokay, Thad just saw me looking at your blog and said... "see that's Stephanie... I wish we could go to their house.." :) just thought I'd share his cute thoughts. Hope all is well!
ReplyDeleteI commented on your blog awhile back about the loss of your babies. I found your blog thru Brooke McCarty's blog (she's our realtor in Columbia). We just relocated to the STL area last July and live in the O'Fallon area. At one point we had considered checking out your church but we ended up making Faith Church St. Louis our home church. Anyway, I work for the STL chapter of the March of Dimes. I am the Family Team Specialist for the March For Babies event in this area and I work with Family Teams who have experienced premature birth and loss due to premature birth. If you are interested in finding out more about supporting the March For Babies that is coming up on April 25th at Forest Park please contact me. We truly delight in honoring families and the memory of their loved ones and are always looking for stories as touching as yours that can help others through their difficult times. I can be reached at jhively@marchofdimes.com. Look forward to hearing from you.
ReplyDelete