Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blessings

I have been really homesick lately, for Vienna, for our ministry there, the families we served and the family of friends made up of the staff. It has been a really hard transition for me to move back to the States, especially after losing the babies. I have done a lot of questioning why God brought us back, and what my purpose is here. As I have spent so much time alone the past three weeks on bed rest, it has been hard not to slide into a slump of depressing thoughts. Although I am yet to learn why God has us here, I am thankful for the blessings of being close to home once again.

One of my greatest joys of being close to family is my niece and nephew.









As you can see, they are cute as buttons! Grace is 4 and too smart for her own good. Recently we were taking them home to their house from my parents house and we were trying to pick a place to stop and grab some food. With some convincing, we stopped at Sonic. Here's how the conversation went after ordering our food.....
Grace: "Matt, can we sit outside and eat?"
Matt: "Not today sweetie, its getting late and we still have a long ways to go."
Grace: "Please? Pretty please"
Matt: "Sorry Grace, not today, maybe next time."
Grace: "Pretty please with a cherry on top?"
Matt: "No Grace, we don't have time."
Grace: "But Matt, if we eat in the car I will make a big mess."
Matt: "It's okay Grace, I can clean it up."
Grace: "But I make a really big mess."
Matt: "Its okay, I can clean it up."
Grace: "But I make such a huge mess, it will take you a really really long time to clean it up."
Matt: "Its okay Grace, I can clean it up. We're eating in the car."

Thankfully our food came at this point in time because I was dying with laughter and Matt was barely able to contain his and keep a straight face in saying no! Samuel, 2, is an ornery little guy. He will walk into the room with this grin on his face, and you know trouble is coming! He is so much fun and always on the go. He's never too far behind big sis, always having to keep up! Of course it is good to see my brother and sister-in-law, but you know how it is once you have kids...they're all that matters!

Another blessing....my two younger sisters.


I moved out of the house while they were just starting middle school, so we've never really been close as in friendship close. But now that we're starting to enter the same area of life, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know both sisters and spending more time with them. Catherine is finishing up her freshman year at Lincoln Christian College where she is studying to be an elementary teacher. She has the biggest heart of anyone I know, is quiet, and always puts others first. Rebecca is finishing up her senior year of high school. Her graduation is next weekend. She is well, a lot like me, only worse!! HA! Seriously though, we are a lot alike, although I think shes a bit more opinionated, and way more prissy! She's got a full ride scholarship to Southeast Missouri State University where she will study to become an upper level math teacher.
Last but not least, is my mom. Like me, she hates pictures so I'd have to really hunt to find one, so we'll have to do without! My mom has always been my best friend. Although my husband calls her crazy, she has always been there on for me. She has a servants heart and will do anything for anyone. She is one of the best cooks I have ever met, and has a super fun personality! I don't know what I'd do without her daily phone calls while on bed rest. Although we chat about nothing most times, its good to just chat with another human being!
I am also thankful for my daddy who is at this moment in our basement hanging drywall. We can't fix our nursery until the basement is finished and we can move things around. He stayed up way to late working on it last night, and is working still. Love you dad!
So these are a few of my blessings. I will definitely share more as I fight my loneliness and need to be reminded of all the blessings God has given me.

1 comment:

  1. i can relate to some of your feelings. i spent pretty much ea day this summer, fall and most of winter alone while andrew was able to work. so frustrating! i got a lot of one-on-one with oliver. :) i too am living near family for the first time since high school. it is so great to be apart of our nephews' lives on a regular basis. this is the first time i've spent more than a weekend with my mom as an adult. i'm sorry this time is so difficult on you. you really are not alone! much love! debs

    ReplyDelete