Saturday, January 1, 2011

Forever

Last night was New Year's Eve, the most celebrated holiday in Ukraine. We were lucky enough to have endured another sleepless night due to New Year celebrations.

Friday morning we came down to the city center to pick up R's new glasses. As we were walking to a cafe to eat, we walked by a hotel that looked nice. We went in and asked about prices and to see a few rooms. This hotel is not as nice as the first one, not as roomy, but was still nice with hot water and is clean. Not to mention it would save us $25 a night. So we moved hotels Friday morning, from our first hotel on the outskirts of the city to the new one, which is in the middle of the city center. It will be, and already has been, nicer to be closer to grocery stores and cafe's.

So Friday night we were right in the midst of New Year celebrations which included a LOT of fireworks!

This morning we went for a long walk, over an hour long. The city was dead, everything closed and only a few people out. We did find a pizza place open to grab some lunch. We rested this afternoon and then headed out to the orphanage for our visiting hours with R from 4-6.

As we were saying good bye to leave, R asked Yulia, our translator, if we were coming back tomorrow. I answered, "I don't know, should we?" I wanted to see what he said. He said yes, accompanied by a big smile. Then he asked Yulia a question..."when will they come to take me forever?" Holding back my tears, I answered, "as soon as we can, as soon as they will let us." With a worried look, he told us that someone had told him we wouldn't come get him forever until spring. Yulia chuckled and told him it would be much sooner than spring, but still a few weeks away.

As Yulia translated R's question, "when will they come to take me forever?" my heart was so overwhelmed with emotions. It was breaking at the thought of him being separated from his siblings because he was cross eyed and not wanted. It was breaking because I knew he had been alone in the orphanage for years, desperately wanting a family. It was breaking because I knew we had to leave him there, and still had weeks until we could take him. Yet at the same time my heart was overwhelmed with love for this sweet boy. I was filled with joy knowing he wanted to be ours, to be part of our family forever!

I know we have asked before, but through this process, please continue to lift R up in prayer. This process is so hard on him, and it will only become more difficult. In his young mind he doesn't understand the adoption process. All he knows is we want him and he wants us. I imagine it will become more difficult on him after court when he is ours, when we change his name, yet we still have to leave him at the orphanage for ten days. Not to mention the emotions he will deal with at wanting to leave with us, yet having to leave those he loves and all he has known in the orphanage behind. He has hardly been out of the orphanage, so culture shock will be overwhelming and difficult as well. I imagine he will be sick with the adjustment in food as well. From what I understand he eats porridge for breakfast each morning, soup and bread at each meal along with something else, I hope and pray. Not to mention the adjustment to clothes, toys, television and movies and so much more. I hate that he has to experience and feel so much at such a tender age. Please continue to cover him with your prayers.

It has been a long and emotional day to say the least, praying for a restful night for all of us, even as the New Year's celebrations continue around us.

2 comments:

  1. Such a journey of trust. I am praying for all of you in this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you all daily. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated...our hearts are right there with you.

    ReplyDelete