For those of you who haven't heard this part of my story...I felt called to full time missions when I was a sophomore in high school, and began getting involved with any kind of mission work possible. During my junior year of high school I began looking for a short term missions trip. So my aunt put me in touch with a doctor from the Saint Louis area who went to her church, and who was willing to take me on. Anyways, I spent part of two summers with Steve being his assistant in Port au Prince, Haiti, and the surrounding area. This ministry still takes up a huge part of my heart and is a big reason why I am a missionary today. My plan was to get medical training and join Steve full time with the mission work in Haiti. Although Steve was thrilled when we decided to come to VCS, and supports us in our ministry, he still gave me a hard time about not joining him in Haiti.
Anyways, he has been having a lot of health problems. Doctors have found several growths on both of his lungs. He was told these types of growth are usually cancerous or will eventually turn into that. It is a very aggressive form of cancer and there is no cure. Obviously, their prayer and mine, is that it is not cancerous and that the growths will stop growing. He has also had his gallbladder removed. It was covered with polps and needs to be checked out as well. He had 2 stents put in last March when he was just hours away from a massive heart attack. So Steve has some very serious health problems and we need to continue to pray for them and for the Haiti mission which worries them greatly.
Steve mainly works by himself, but has partnered with many Haitians for his ministry. If Steve can no longer continue the mission work, then there is a good chance it will stop. Steve also takes a trip once a year with a group of doctors into West Africa to do medical missions there as well.
Steve invested in me in huge ways, has mentored me and played a big role in who I am today. Needless to say, this news is very hard on me, so please join me in praying for Steve, his wife Terri, his family and his ministry in Haiti. They have an amazing ministry that has saved the lives of many, both physically and spiritually, and I would hate to see it come to an end. Also, selfishly, I ask that you pray for me as well, as dealing with these situations when you are an ocean away is not easy.
I'm praying for Steve, Terri and their family and friends. Praying for healing for Steve and that we may all pray with boldness and courage, knowing that God is faithful and he will answer our prayers.
ReplyDelete