Friday, August 28, 2009

A Few Prayer Requests

1. For Cavin to nurse. While he had jaundice we couldn't get him to nurse at all, even after trying everything. We couldn't even get him to want a bottle, we had to force feed him so he wouldn't drop any more weight. Now that the jaundice is over we're trying to transition back to nursing from the bottle. Its a tough battle! Please pray for mommy to have lots of patience and for Cavin to make the switch!

2. My healing....

The following is a summary of what happened on Thursday, August 20th....read at your own risk!

Thursday morning we went to the doctor hoping to have Cavin that day. His movement had decreased and I wasn't sleeping at night worrying about it. I was dilated to a 6 and Dr. T agreed it was time and I was admitted.

Start: 10:00 a.m.

As soon as they put the monitor on my tummy they noticed big variables (drops) in Cavin's heartbeat. Instead of waiting to break my water as planned, Dr. T decided it was best to break it then (11:00) and get the show on the road. Immediately after breaking my water my contractions starting coming 2-3 minutes apart and were lasting a good 45 seconds.

After almost two hours I was checked and there had been no change in my cervix. There were however, still frequent drops with Cavin's heartbeat. Dr. T wanted to increase the pitocin (I had started at a 2--didn't want much of that stuff going natural!) by two every 30 minutes. They needed to get Cavin out as soon as possible.

I decided with a rushed labor process, not being allowed out of bed at all, and stress over worrying about Cavin, to have an epidural so they could speed things up as much as needed. I did ask for the lowest dose so I could still feel my legs, contractions, pressure and the sort.

After two hours I was completely dilated and effaced and we were ready to start pushing as soon as Dr. T could get there. I pushed for about 45 minutes before Dr. T got there, practicing pushing and working on bringing Cavin's head down. Once Dr. T came in the room, the real pushing began and 45 minutes later Cavin was born!

Cavin came out side ways-horizontal instead of vertical like babies are supposed to come out. The cord was wrapped around his neck, his body, and one of his legs. We were very fortunate not to have lost him.

The instant he came out he began crying and I began weeping. There is no way to describe what I felt when I heard his cry and saw him kicking and moving. As images from the triplets birth flashed through my mind and heart, I welcomed and wept over my new-and perfect son.

Finished: 8:38 p.m.

It took over an hour for Dr. T to put me back together again due to Cavin coming out sideways. At this point I was so thankful I had the epidural! The first time they got me up I passed out. My body just couldn't handle anymore.

Yesterday when we were at the hospital getting Cavin's blood work done a mommy and her newborn were being discharged. The mom was bending over and talking to her little girl and walking with ease. It had been a week for me and it hurt to take a step, sit, and do basically anything. Needless to say I was quite jealous!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie I have nothing but admiration for you. Matt you also. There one thing thats for sure that little guy is gorgous. What a blessing for all of you! God is Good!

    ReplyDelete